NEWS
Back Home > News
Czech not to accept any refugee based on EU quotas: minister
Source: Xinhua     Date: 2017-06-08

  Czech Interior Minister Milan Chovanec said on Monday that the Czech Republic will not accept any further refugees from Italy and Greece based on the EU redistribution quotas.
  At a press conference, the minister said Czech government has identified the quota system as non-functional, and it made the decision due to the worsened security situation.
  Chovanec said the one-off mechanism of quotas is to end in September and the Czech Republic will no longer be active. He said the cabinet has ordered his ministry to end all activities related to possible resettlement within the quota system. The Interior Ministry will now prepare a defense for possible proceedings that could be started by the European Commission against the country for not meeting the commitment.
  According to Chovec, the step of the Czech government is in reaction to the statement of EU Commissioner for Migration and Home Affairs Dimitris Avramopoulos who has called on EU member states to meet their commitments in recent weeks. Chovanec said Czech might get a fine of up to tens of millions euros from EU court.
  Under EU quota system, Czech is expected to receive around 2,600 people by September, 2017, but it accepted only 12 migrants from Greece so far.